Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fluffy Goes Cajun







Hi Kids,


View Larger Map

I just got back from Louisiana -- and I'm still so mad at Miss Elaine I could just growl! You know how she's always taking my picture getting stuffed in some animal's mouth? Well, this time it was a REAL animal! Can you believe she let that alligator crawl on my lap? I couldn't either. One of these days, I'm going to bite her!


We were at an Acadian village in Lafayette. The Acadians were French people who were living in Canada in the early 1800s. The French and the English fought over the territory and the English won. They kicked the French Acadians out of Canada -- kind of like the Indian Trail of Tears. They had to leave everything they had behind and often families were split up.



Many of the Acadians wound up in Louisiana because they heard there were French people here. Over the years, the name Acadian got shortened to 'Cadian then Cajun. They still speak French and they play old-timey music in Cajun style.


I got to hear lots of Cajun music on this trip and even met some of the musicians.



I hope you have a good summer! I'll miss you but I will have another class to tell about my travels next year!



Love,


Fluffy

No comments: